Sunday, June 5, 2011

Dear exchange,

I'm in this weird place now as I finish packing and get ready to leave the city that I have called home for the passed eight months.  Plus it's my birthday, so a whole lot of weird emotions are bubbling around in me right now.  One minute I'm happy, one minute I'm scared, one minute I'm anxious, another minute I'm overwhelmingly sad, and in even another minute I feel surprisingly indifferent.  That last feeling is less and less frequent as the time draws nearer for me to leave.

I learned so much this year, I don't think I realize the extent of changes that I have experienced yet. 

I made some absolutely fantastic friends and I know this year would not have been half as wonderful with out them.  Thank you, all of you.

I wish there was a way to quantify how much I owe to this experience and a way for me to pay what I owe.  All I can really do is put out a thank you to Carleton University and the University of Leeds for presenting this opportunity to me.  The biggest thanks of all has to go to my parents for making this trip possible and supporting me the entire time, from calming my anxiety before I left to listening to tales of my adventures.  

Thank you exchange, you have been the best (a phrase I throw around, but this time I mean it entirely).




When this message is posted, I'll be on my way from Leeds to Grenoble, my first stop on my summer adventure.  I'm going to try to make posts as frequently as possible on my trip but I won't have a computer with me so it won't be that often, maybe once a week at the most.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Liza,

    You are so very welcome. We are so happy to have participated in your adventures. That was a beautiful note you have written in "Dodgy". Congratulations on a great school year and an even greater life experience. We will be checking our email often for your notes.

    Good luck in your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on being done Liza! What a year you have had! And it's only going to get better. Have an amazing trip! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just reading this now, but it totally made me tear up! You're all grown up now traveling the world... i'm so impressed by your ability to take control of your future and go after your dreams... regardless of how many anxiety attacks you had before you left :)

    Can't wait to see your first post from your summer adventure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello world traveller. Just catching up on dodgy. Hope all is well in your travels. Take lots of pics. Can't wait to see you at the end of your adventures

    ReplyDelete