Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Coleslaw: [noun]- What you say to someone when they ask you a question that you could not possibly know the answer to (Note: not a British word but a Wallman word).

Monday April 4 was an exciting start to our trip to London.  So my parents come to visit me after a I have lived on my own in England for a number of months.  I was hoping to squash the "silly youngest child" stereotype with my AWESOME independence.  But alas, I just ended up confirming it.  Back to the story.  Monday morning we had a train that was leaving at 8 to go to London and the day before me and my parents decided that we were going to meet downstairs in front of my building at 7:30.  When I wasn't there at 7:45 my mom decided to come into the building and ring the doorbell of the flat.  Instead of being woken up by my alarm on my computer (my computer was dead because I forgot to plug it in, very smart) I was woken up by the doorbell fifteen minutes before we had to be on the train.  Luckily, I'm pretty good at getting ready quickly so we made the train on time.  However, it gets worse.  About an hour into the train ride I realized that I did not have my passport, my passport which would be necessary for our next leg of the trip, going to Spain right from London.  So, I got off the train, went back to Leeds, got my passport, and got to London about two hours after my parents.  GOOD JOB LIZA!

Anyways, on to the good stuff.  Once I arrived in London we went out for lunch and then took the tube to The Tower Of London.  It was really well set up so that it was both informative and interesting and now I can say that I've seen the crown jewels!


After the tower of London we went to The Tate Modern and saw some artwork. 


Afterward we had dinner along the Thames and watched people train for the London Marathon.  Does anyone know why everyone in London runs with a backpack on? Later that evening, we went on a Jack the Ripper tour which actually was not as scary as it sounds and relatively informative about the city of London and its history.

Tuesday morning we went to Westminster Abbey and toured around inside which was pretty cool to see where the upcoming Royal Wedding is going to take place.  Big Ben is near by so we also took a look at that guy, he's pretty cool.  Afterward we made our way over to Buckingham Palace and watched the guards march around for a bit.




We then had lunch and then made our way to the National Gallery in Trafalgar Square.  We took a good look around there and then had a couple of free hours for shopping, which was extremely successful.  We had dinner and then went to a play, The Children's Hour, with Keira Knightley and Elisabeth Moss which was so cool and also a really good play, all of the actors were wonderful.

Wednesday was a beautiful day weather wise which was too lovely.  We went to the National Library and the British Museum in the morning which both house insane artifacts and artworks.  We saw the Magna Carta, handwritten lyrics by The Beatles, Egyptian statues, and sculptures from the Parthenon.  We took it easy that afternoon because I was sick, so we just enjoyed the warm weather and did some people watching.  That evening we went on the London eye with two of my cousins, Ally and Kendra.

We then went out for dinner with Ally, Kendra and Uncle Rod (their Dad) and it was one of the more hilarious meals of my life time.  It was so wonderful seeing all of you!

Thursday was another glorious weather day.  We walked through Hyde Park, went to the Serpentine Gallery and shopped.  We went into Harrod's and Selfridges which are by far the most ridiculous, although amazing, stores I have ever been in.  They are both like mazes of expensive everything (shoes, jewelery, clothes, food, they probably had cars in these places we just didn't have two weeks to wander around the stores).



At some point during our trip we did go to the National Portrait Gallery I just can't remember if it was Wednesday or Thursday.  Next up: Spain.

4 comments:

  1. I can't believe you confessed to your follies about the passport and sleeping late. It is kind of funny . . . NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you confessed either!! But perhaps the fact that you did shows that you are growing older? Remember admittance is the first step to recovery...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always confess to my silly mistakes! And take full responsibility! I'VE ALWAYS BEEN AN ADULT! Hahaha.. just joking.. kind of.

    ReplyDelete