Thursday, October 28, 2010

London: [noun]- the capital and largest city of England; located on the Thames in southeastern England; financial and industrial and cultural center

THE ANSWER TO THE CLUE IS HERE! I know so many people were sitting on the edge of their seats, constantly refreshing "Dodgy", waiting in grand anticipation for this moment.

This past weekend, on the 23-24, me and my friend Hannah took a trip to London.  My original intention for the trip was to meet with one of my bosses from the summer and his wife but unfortunately I couldn't get in touch with them.  ANGELOOOO!! Where are ya?

We arrived at King's Cross station early on Saturday morning and our first order of business (after eating a delicious meal, of course) was to go shopping.  We went to Oxford Street which is the home of a very large Top Shop.  If you had the time, you could spend a solid five hours in this store and still not have seen all the clothes/jewelry/shoes/purses/food.

After Oxford Street we headed down to Trafalgar Square, and to walk there we went through Piccadilly Circus.   In Trafalgar Square is The National Gallery and let me tell ya, these Brits don't kid around with their art collecting.  In The National Gallery they have so many art works that I have been studying since high school.  For me, it's so exciting to see art works that I know so much information about but have only seen in slides or on the internet.  The first art work we saw was Leonardo da Vinci's The Virgin of the Rocks.  To keep things short and sweet, I love this painting.  Other artists who's works I was excited to see at The National Gallery were Botticelli, Caravaggio, Vermeer, Velazquez and Rembrandt.  Another artist who's work I couldn't believe I was finally seeing was Turner.  I don't want to bore anyone to tears with why I love his work so much so just judge for yourself:
In order of apperance: Dido Building Carthage, Rain, Steam and Spead, Margate (?) from the Sea and The Slave Ship.

So going to The National Gallery was a nice little life altering moment for me.

On Saturday night we went to Freud's Bar with Hannah's friend who is from England and goes to school in London.  The bar specialized in making fancy drinks and I had a Brandy Alexander, solely because of the Feist song. 

Sunday was a wonderful day of riding a double decker bus for the first time since I've been in England, getting lost and finding what we were looking for.  What we were looking for was Brick Lane.  To use Toronto as a point of reference, imagine Kensington Market plus the St. Lawernce Market smashed together and multiplied by fifty.  To say the very least, it was hip.  This street couldn't get any more hip even if every true hipster there ever was moved there and The Sartorialist was there 24/7. 








I already want to go back.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I want to go to Brick Lane sooooo badly!! How did I not know about this magical place when I was there??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Great Post!

    I can't wait to go to The National Gallery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seem to have lost the comment I put on here.
    So here goes again.
    Agreed, a great post! Loved seeing London through your eyes. Brick Lane sounds amazing. I understand it is relatively new, in comparison to most of London's sights. I hope to see more when you go back there.

    Keep the dispatches coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Margate from the Sea is my favourite of Turners works.

    Dont you just love how the beige works with the light beige and the dark beige? And that black streak in the middle?? Ohh I cant contain myself.

    BPAHHHHHH

    ReplyDelete