Monday, March 21, 2011

Dublin: [noun]- the largest city in Ireland and the capital city of the Republic of Ireland.

Last Tuesday, the fifteenth, I flew to Dublin with my friend Andy.  The sixteenth was a serious day of touristy-ness in the city.  We took one of those no roof double decker hop on hop off bus tours which actually served to be very informative and an excellent mode of transportation.  In the following order we went to:
1. O'Connell Street (aka my mom's maiden name street, it says it on the street signs but I didn't take a picture)

The O'Connell Monument

2.  The National Gallery Ireland



3. The National Museum of Ireland which had a bunch of sub buildings like the National History Museum, "known to the locals as the dead zoo" to quote the audio guide on the bus tour.  I didn't get any pictures in the real National Museum because there were about fifty old men guards standing around telling people not to take pictures.  To summarize: there was a lot of viking stuff.

This dude here was in the dead museum and he was massive.  The picture doesn't do him justice but apparently he lived in Ireland before the ice age andddd then he went extinct.

4. The National Library was so beautiful and old and the books were the same.  There was also an exhibition of William Yeats happening while we were there so we also looked at that.  It was pretty cool and had some awesome interactive stuff which kids (so, me, basically) were just loving. 

5.  Back on the bus!



6. Off the bus at St. Patrick's Cathedral.



My absolute favorite part of the Cathedral was the fact that they sold shot glasses in the gift shop IN THE CHURCH.  Isn't there a bible story where Jesus goes nutso because people are selling food in a church? Let alone shot glasses?  I'm pretty sure there is.


7.  Back on the bus where I took a very lovely nap. 

8.  The Post Office where a lot of the Irish rebellion was planned. 

9. Deeelicious dinner + Baulmer's cider. 

Note the dude in the background prepared for St. Patrick's day about five hours in advance.

Random Pictures of St. Patrick's day type things.

Apparently the Irish like to drink...

...a lot.





Next Post: St. Patrick's day.

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures Liza! Looks like a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Shannon! It was a really fun trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the shamrock fence. We should get one here.

    The pictures are great Liza and it looks like so much fun.

    But men really are natural born leaders. Heehee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha Dawny you're going to send me over the edge for the second time today. Don't test me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the moose antler skeleton. And there is a story where Jesus starts throwing tables and chairs over in church because they had turned the church into a market. I think this is the only time he looses his cool in the ol dat dem der bible

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha I was being sarcastic about the not knowing if it was a story. I didn't know it was the only time he lost his cool in dat der bible though.

    ReplyDelete